This notice sets out how we will use your personal data, and your rights. It is made under Articles 13 and/or 14 of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
The Civil Service Careers Website is the recruitment attraction site for the Civil Service. Site content providers will need to go through a secure registration process to access the site and must also create an account to facilitate the management and publishing of site content.
The purposes for which we are processing your personal data are:
- to enable the creation of user author accounts
- to manage secure login to the Authoring site
- to provide users technical support
- to manage and audit publication of content
We will process the following personal data when we create you an authoring account:
- First name
- Last name
- Your work email address
- Your government department
Legal basis of processing
The legal basis for processing your personal data is:
- Public task: processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the data controller – in this case it is necessary for Civil Service content owners to be able to publish recruitment marketing information that supports Civil Service recruitment strategy.
Your personal data will be shared by us with:
- Our platform supplier and their approved staff
- Our content management system supplier and their approved staff
If you request support for a technical issue:
- Approved staff from Cabinet Office
- Approved staff from the platform supplier
Your personal data will be stored on hosted IT infrastructure based in the UK and Ireland (EU).
As your data will also be stored on Cabinet Office IT infrastructure, it will also be shared with our data processors who provide email management and storage services to us.
Your personal data will be kept by us for the following durations:
- The course of your employment with a civil service department or agency where access to the content site is required
- Until your role or position changes and access is no longer required
- Up to one year
You have the right to request information about how your personal data is processed, and to request a copy of that personal data.
You have the right to request that any inaccuracies in your personal data are rectified without delay.
- you can edit your contact details in your Application Centre at any time
You have the right to request that any incomplete personal data are completed, including by means of a supplementary statement.
- you can add additional contact details via your Application Centre at any time
You have the right to request that your personal data is erased if there is no longer a justification for it to be processed.
- you can close your account at any time, from your Application Centre - this will:
- delete your account data and remove your ability to log into your account again
- any changes you have made in the past will be kept for audit purposes under our data retention policy
You have the right in certain circumstances (for example, where accuracy is contested) to request that the processing of your personal data is restricted.
If your request relates to your account, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
You have the right to object to the processing of your personal data where it is processed for direct marketing purposes.
- your data is not processed for direct marketing purposes
You have the right to object to the processing of your personal data.
As your personal data is stored on Cabinet Office IT infrastructure, and shared with our data processors, it may be transferred and stored securely outside the European Union. Where that is the case it will be subject to equivalent legal protection through the use of Model Contract Clauses.
If you consider that your personal data has been misused or mishandled, you may make a complaint to the Information Commissioner, who is an independent regulator. The Information Commissioner can be contacted at:
Information Commissioner's Office
0303 123 1113
Any complaint to the Information Commissioner is without prejudice to your right to seek redress through the courts.
Cabinet Office is the data controller for your account details.
You can contact us by email: email@example.com
The contact details for the data controller’s Data Protection Officer are:
Data Protection Officer
The Data Protection Officer provides independent advice and monitoring of Cabinet Office’s use of personal information.
Updates to this notice
If this privacy notice changes in any way, we will provide you, the user with an updated version via the registered email address we hold for you.
Last updated: 21 August 2023