Our level 4 cyber apprenticeship scheme offers the opportunity to work in departments across government for two years, gaining a Level 4 Cyber Security Technologist qualification on completion and the opportunity to move into a permanent job in a department.
Requirements To be eligible to apply for this level 4 apprenticeship you must:
- Be a UK National
- You hold a current United Kingdom (UK) Passport, and NI number
- You will not be in full-time education by October of the year of your application.
- You will be 18 by October of the year of your application
- Have an IT qualification or practical experience or be able to demonstrate equivalent practical experience
- You must NOT already have a qualification in a similar subject at the same or higher level than this apprenticeship.
Applications will be open from mid-February until mid-March 2024. The application process is broken up into several stages;
- Application - You'll be asked to complete some background information.
- Online Tests - This consists of the Civil Service Verbal and Numerical test.
- Full Application - If you pass the online tests, you will be asked to complete the full application.
- Assessment centre - If you pass the online assessments, you’ll be invited to undertake a virtual assessment centre. The assessment centre will reflect some of the key elements of the apprenticeship role.
If you are applying to both The Government Security Cyber Apprenticeship (level 4) and the Government Security Cyber Degree Apprenticeship (level 6) you will only be assessed once. The Government Security Cyber Degree Apprenticeship assessment centre will contain additional assessments.
I’ve always found cyber interesting and I wanted a job which made a difference to society. That is why I joined Government Security. I work in Threat Intelligence, identifying potential vulnerabilities in products and services, keeping the department safe from threat actors trying to exploit them.
What benefits will you enjoy?
You’ll have a unique opportunity to join Government Security and start your cyber career having a direct impact on the safety of the UK and its citizens. As well as great roles, working with experts and access to specialist L&D, you will also gain the skills and experience that will enable you to become a technical cyber specialist within the Civil Service.
On completion, you will gain a Level 4 Cyber Security Technologist qualification. Other benefits include the Civil Service pension scheme, professional qualifications, flexible working, child care assistance and more. This is your chance to learn while you earn and to be involved in some of the most innovative government projects in the world, helping to make a difference. Every day the government is bombarded by attempts to steal, disrupt or destroy the resources in our care. Some incidents are significant enough to make it into the day’s news: most are less newsworthy but no less consequential.
With these ever-changing challenges, comes a whole world of opportunities - to grow and develop as a security professional, throw yourself into countless experiences and enjoy a truly fulfilling career. Here you’ll find every challenge and every opportunity.
Responsibilities you could have
- Identify security risks
- Respond to security incidents
- Provide security risk advice, guidance and support
- Apply security assurance processes
- Support the security monitoring regime
- Design and develop an automated monitoring process
- Carry out digital forensics
- Deliver cryptography and encryption
Our application process will be composed of success profiles which you can learn more about here.
Applications for the 2024 intake for the Government Security Level 4 Cyber apprenticeship will open in February/March 2024