Civil Service Industry Placements

Get to the next level with a T Level Civil Service Industry Placement.

Industry Placements

In this video, we look at a day in the life of a T Level student undertaking a Civil Service Industry Placement.

 

t levels by civil service branding

Why choose a Civil Service Industry Placement?

Civil Service Industry Placements provide you [T Level students]  with the opportunity to experience a career in the Civil Service. A career in the Civil Service offers you:

  • the opportunity to make a difference to people’s lives in the UK
  • learning on the job and fantastic career development opportunities

You will have the opportunity to work closely with experienced professionals as well as the chance to explore what your pathway into the Civil Service could look like.

Your Civil Service Industry Placement is tailored to your T Level subject area and you will have the opportunity to work closely with your Education Provider and Line Manager to adapt the placement to your objectives and the specific skills that you wish to develop further.

As well as working closely with your Education Provider and Line Manager, you will also have the support of your dedicated T Level Civil Service Industry Placement Team who will be on hand to answer any of your queries as well as ensuring you are ready to start your placement.

t level student with tutor

Being on a Civil Service Industry Placement

Being on a Civil Service Industry Placement means joining a community of passionate and engaged people all committed to improving the lives of people across the UK. You might be working as a Junior Software Developer to support the Civil Service in becoming a user centred organisation, through agile and iterative software development. You might be supporting the air conditioning engineering team by contributing to the installation of air conditioning systems using quality driven techniques and modern practises in order to contribute to reducing humanities burden on precious resources.

You will have the opportunity to take what you have learnt in the classroom and put it into practice in your Civil Service Industry Placement. You will also have the chance to gain new skills that will not only contribute towards your qualification but will also help you develop key skills to take with you on your career journey.

Throughout your journey, you will have the support of your Education Provider, Line Manager and the T Level Civil Service Industry Placement Team. Whatever the question, we are all here to help and support you through your placement. 

Word bubble with lots of role titles
Shechinah-Shantelle Ashmead

My time in the Department for Transport, has been terrific. I am interested in cyber security and ethical hacking and have read pen-testing reports from their prototype, which intrigued and excited me. Working in the Civil Service has prepared me for the world of work and the pathways I can take.

Shechinah-Shantelle AshmeadLa Retraite Roman Catholic Girls' School

The Civil Service Industry Placement offer

Civil Service Industry Placements are a great way for anyone who wishes to work in areas which make a real difference to UK society. Your Civil Service Industry Placement will contribute towards your T Level qualification. 

T Levels are an alternative to A levels, apprenticeships and other 16 to 19 courses. Equivalent to 3 A levels, a T Level focuses on vocational skills and can help students into skilled employment, higher study or apprenticeships. T Level students spend 80% of the course in the classroom, learning the skills that employers need. The other 20% is a meaningful industry placement, where they put these skills into action.

How-to guides

For some jobs you will be asked to provide a CV and personal statement or statement of suitability. Here you can find information on how to show yourself in the best light.

How to write your CV

How to write your personal statement

Reasonable Adjustments

We are committed to making reasonable adjustments in order to support disabled job applicants and ensure that you are not disadvantaged in the recruitment and assessment process.

Reasonable adjustments could include: allowing extra time during selection tests; ensuring that information is provided in an accessible format or; providing training.

Civil Service Professions

Joining the Civil Service means you become part of a profession, working with like-minded colleagues with similar skills and interests. You’ll also have a range of opportunities to enhance and develop your skill set.

Visit our professions page and find the perfect match for your passion

Civil Service Departments

There are hundreds of departments and agencies that make up the Civil Service. Whatever your passion, there’s a department that will be the perfect match for your knowledge and talents.

Find the right department for you